Monday 21 August 2017

Sketch challenge at Swirlydoos

Hello all, 

When I first saw Kim's gorgeous sketch for the July Sketch challenge at Swirlydoos Kit Club I knew I had to do it! And I enjoyed every minute of doing it!
My mojo has been a bit lacking lately but this sketch really got the brain cogs working again and filled me with inspiration! 


Here's my layout!





and here's the sketch.....


No automatic alt text available.



Here are some close ups and details........




The colours for the layout were inspired from the pretty autumn vines in the background draping over the wood panelled chair. Using the pink from DD's top and the dark tones from DS's top and the background wood colours as my highlight colours. The layout is created on a Blue Fern Studio paper from the Blush collection.



I love using mixed media in all my projects, as I mentioned earlier my mojo had been taking a vacation lately but my love of mixed media got me thinking again with this layout and I wanted to try and do something a little different.

I started my layout with a stencil and some Viva Inka Gold ( in the photo below)


When the Inka Gold was dry I dabbed over my Flitter Glu in patches on the gold and then applied the gilding flake. when I rubbed of the excess it left a lovely mottled coloured effect. I used a flake from Indigo Blue called Lancashire Rose which had gold and red tones in it. See below.... yummy!







I arranged the design of the ephemera pieces and my photo next to get the general shape of the design I wanted to match the sketch. I inked most of the edges either with Vintage Photo or Rusty Hinge ink.




Covering up the photo, I splattered the layout with 2 colours of mist, a rose coloured one and an orange one. Next was die cutting the leaves. I used several different types and each on a different colour cardstock/PP. I inked some edges to make them more dimensional and poked these into the design. I also used a burlap sheet (its backed with thin cardboard and goes through a die cutting machine) to create some leaves with a different texture.







I used a few pretty bicoloured pink tones flowers to highlight the pink top of DD. 
Other little details added then were the buttons threaded up and then some straggly ends of thread winding their way through the clusters.





The  title is a laser cut thin chipboard piece from Wycinanka. I simply spritzed it with the rose/rouge mist.




I then finished of by using the 2 mists as washes with a paint brush and blending them around the immediate design coming out from underneath the photo layers to really make the design 'pop'.




Products used in this layout:

* Blue fern Studios: Blush: Key to my Heart
* Kaisercraft: Collectables ephemera from several different collections
* Brown, rust and olive cardstocks
* Tim Holtz: Distress Ink: Rusty Hinge
 * Tim Holtz: Distress Ink: Vintage Photo
* Cosmic Shimmer Mist: Red Firefly
* Tattered Angels: Glimmer Mist: Crème de Rouge
* Hobby House: Buttons
* Wycinanka: Laser Cut Chipboard: Berries/mistletoe
* Wycinanka: Laser Cut Chipboard: Remember Word Set
* Wild Orchid Crafts: Paper flowers: Miniature Sweetheart Blossoms mixed
* cardboard backed Burlap sheet
*Viva: Inka Gold: Old Gold
* Indigo Blu: Flitter Glu: 
* Indigo Blu: Mega Flake Gilding Flake: Lancashire Rose
* Cherry Lynn Dies: Pair of Ferns B118
* Spellbinders Die: Bitty Blossoms ( the leaves)
* Memory Box Die: Leafy sprig
* Black cord thread
* Stencil: Flourish





Thanks for looking!

And again don't forget this challenge can be found here at Swirlydoos





Ginny   :)












No comments:

Post a Comment